When you think of dermatology, you are probably only thinking of skin cancer or acne care. But that is not all, a holistic dermatologist can do so much more.
Who Is A Dermatologist?
Dermatologists are professional doctors who specialize in helping patients with their skin, nails, hair and so much more. A dermatologist can also diagnose as well as treat more than 2,000 different conditions. Some conditions that they can treat include skin cancer, warts, rosacea, shingles, moles and warts, and even reactions from poison ivy. Some dermatologists are also trained to do cosmetic procedures such as botox, lip fillers, and even tattoo removal.
To become a dermatologist, an individual would have to complete 4 years of school, 4 years of medical school as well as work as an intern and then do 3 more years in a residency program. During those years of schooling, many dermatologists take classes to receive certificates to be able to perform other things such as botox, fillers, and other cosmetic procedures.
What Exactly Can A Dermatologist Do?
A dermatologist can perform a bunch of medical procedures and help treat a variety of conditions. Usually, a dermatologist will perform most of the procedures right in their office. The procedures include:
- Diagnosis-where they diagnose your issue
- Biopsies- this is where the dermatologist will remove a piece of skin to do further testing.
- Chemical peels- this is a type of facial where the dermatologist removed the top layer of the skin on your face to regenerate the skin that is beneath. Chemical peels are great for acne treatment and other cosmetic reasons.
- Injections- dermatologists can do botox or even collagen fillers, and these fillers are used to improve the appearance of your face. Botox can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles as well as increase facial fullness.
- cryotherapy – cryotherapy is great for skin lesion removal like warts.
- Hair restoration-hair restoration is done by methods like medication or even hair transplant.
- Laser surgery- can treat cosmetic issues such as tumors, scars, birthmarks, moles, and even tattoo removal.
When Should I See A Dermatologist?
The most common reason why people see a dermatologist is to treat their issue with acne. If it’s just a simple pimple then you can just use over the counter products. But if you are dealing with scarring from acne that was left untreated you should see your holistic dermatologist right away. Your dermatologist can provide you guidance, professional advice on what kind of skin care to use and when, and prescription for products that will give you great long term results. Besides acne, there are so many other reasons why to see a dermatologist. Another great reason why to see a dermatologist is to have your annual skin check. This is very important because your dermatologist will check your skin on your entire body for any weird new spots and lesions and make sure that there isn’t anything unusual that needs to be treated right away.